Sunday, July 6, 2008

The 1988 Alva Team Photo.



"The stark contrast between the group of individuals depicted in the Steve Gross photo and the candy - coated norm at the time left most skateboarders scared shitless or running to buy an Alva board."

It's Alva week on Vert Is Dead. I wasn't really too into Alva back in the day, but I recognized the team for what it was: a gnarly group of skateboarders. I think I like Alva more today because of how raw they were. They certainly provided the blueprint for current companies like Baker and Creature.

The quote is from an article on the Alva posse compiled by Mackenzie Eisenhour in Skateboarder Magazine.

Skateboarder - August 2002 Volume 11 Number 2

Transworld - October 1988 Volume 6 Number 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There actually is a photo with Jesse in it, i have seen it with my own two eyes & Dread told me the story about the shoot and the location, He like to tell stories, he's got a bunch of them. If you see him at Uprise, ask him about the "Attack of the Killer B's" video shoot.